Three Americans found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning at Mexico City Airbnb, official says; they were guests
This undated photo provided by the CIDE department of the National Polytechnic Institute, shows the building housing the CIDE office at the University of Guadalajara. The building, which is under renovation, is just outside the historic center of Mexico City.
Five Americans found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning at Mexico City Airbnb, official says
Mexico City, Mexico – Five Americans were found dead on Thursday after they were taken by a mystery guest to the Mexico City home they visited to take a short respite between teaching jobs in Mexico city, officials said.
Officials identified the five victims as professors William (Bill) Hochsprung, 67, Susan N. Siewert, 73, Richard G. Rauh, 85, Nancy K. Rauh, 68 and William H. Rauh, 73, all of the University of Texas at Dallas and Rauh’s daughter, as well as a retired Air Force pilot, the Associated Press reported.
Mexican authorities said the victims were staying at an Airbnb, which is illegal because they were not authorized to live in that residence, the New York Post reported.
“The cause of death is an apparent cause of carbon monoxide poisoning,” the Public Ministry of Mexico City, who said they had received the bodies, told the Post.
Siewert worked and lived in Mexico City, Siewert’s husband, David S. Siewert, told the Associated Press that all died at a house they shared with their daughter in Mexico City.
Officials said a man had come to their home in the Mexico City neighborhood of Roma to take care of a sick relative who had recently returned from an extended visit to Washington, D.C.
The man turned the gas stove up and turned the lights out, bringing the house to an eerie black darkness. He then left after telling the